Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Trailwanderer

Default Some registration questions

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...16.11.00-1.jpg

Brand new here, this is my first post! My name is Eric, and I live in Connecticut. This is a picture of the '29 I just bought... Runs and shifts well. There doesn't seem much too wrong with it, so for the price I paid for it... I think I did OK. Or did I? I confess, this is the fist antique car I have ever owned. I have wanted a Model A since I was a small child! I was told by the old gentleman that sold it to me that he built it from frame up... I have no doubt he did this at all. I know basically nothing about these cars, but it looks built with original parts. I'm assuming the engine # doesn't match the frame #... Highly unlikely in my opinion. So, this is what I got for my money... a "1929 Model A" and a signed bill of sale. I have no title to this vehicle. I have been told that I need to register this with the engine #? is this correct? I have also been told that there needs to be some sort of search on the engine #? The guy I bought it from never registered it, so I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem or not. What are the pro's and con's of registering antique? Can I just register it like a regular vehicle? Or do I have to Register it antique? Also, as you can see by the picture, there aren't any doors... Is this going to be a problem? Trying to get a hold of a '29 cab will be all but impossible... and if I can, It'll cost me 3 times what I paid for the truck... what do you all think? am I in for a night mare? Or do I just go to the registry with my engine #?
Trailwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Some registration questions

Every state is different, what state are you in?
I would think that if you want to drive on the road you will need some sort of rear fenders ---and probably seat belts
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Trailwanderer

I live in CT... I intend on making the bed wider and better "rear fenders"... I had thought of seat belts, and could figure that out if necessary... The CT DMV site is terrible... not much info there at all that I can find...
Old 03-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Did you buy it in CT?? If so, fill out new reg papers and go register it at any DMV office. If not, you'll need to get a VIN verification done, any place that does emissions can do that.
Good luck.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
Gunmetal blue2

You mit what to think about if you put a cab on it. then it become a closed cab pick up. The way it is know they my want to call it a parts truck.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
Trailwanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Did you buy it in CT?? If so, fill out new reg papers and go register it at any DMV office. If not, you'll need to get a VIN verification done, any place that does emissions can do that.
Good luck.
Paul in CT
I did buy it in CT, but have no idea if it (the engine?) was ever registered in CT... Does this matter? Is the engine # the Vin #?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
ronn

31 Flamingo has it right for CT-you don't need a title, just register
yes the vin is the motor #
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
Trailwanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
31 Flamingo has it right for CT-you don't need a title, just register
yes the vin is the motor #
Thanks guys! I'm just so nervous that I may have created a monster for myself... now the next question is insurance... Just insure it with the engine # also? How can I research the engine# to be sure it's a '29? The engine number appears to be A3414064...
Old 03-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
Barry B./ Ma.

According to the book it looks like you have a May 1930 motor. Do you have that no. on your bill of sale or old registration from the previous owner? I would use that no. as the VIN if it appears on the Bill of sale or reg.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Trailwanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
According to the book it looks like you have a May 1930 motor. Do you have that no. on your bill of sale or old registration from the previous owner? I would use that no. as the VIN if it appears on the Bill of sale or reg.
The guy that sold it to me printed and signed the bill of sale... nothing else has been filled out yet... he left that up to me... the # is real tough to read... The second to last # could be a 5 or a 6 not entirely sure yet... In any event... I should fill out the bill of sale with the engine # I have correct? It's just a matter of calling it a '29... or as you might have discovered... a '30... Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
jrelliott

Arizona uses the frame number as engines can be changed out and were in many cases. Try and see if you can find the frame number. The body looks like a '28 - '29. Good Luck in registering.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
Bob C

If you can read the frame number that's what I would use.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
KGBnut

I bought my '30 Coupe about four years ago. It had a previous registration (from 1964). While I bought the car in Connecticut, the last registration was in New York.

If you read the Connecticut regulations, you need a bill of sale, and EITHER a title or a previous registration that has been signed over to you. When I looked more carefully, I realized that the hand-written 40-year-old registration had one digit wrong. Knowing what sticklers DMV can be I was in a panic. I ultimately tracked down the son of the previous owner, and he was kind enough to swear out an affidavit for me. I thought this might help. But, went to DMV ready for battle. I was also ready for the brutal inspection of my 80-year-old car (what do you mean I the right brake light doesn't work?)

I had a cop I knew do the VIN verification showing the correct engine number. Grabbed my papers and headed to DMV praying I could get temps and schedule the inspection.

I went to the Danbury DMV. They wanted to see only the Bill of Sale, the VIN Verification, my insurance card, and my money. I was in and out in 20 minutes with permanent plates...no inspection...no request for a title or previous registration... I even got my YOM plates done at the same time. The lady was delightful and told me about her husband's Model A Roadster that he had in the 70s.

My advice, have your ducks in a row, and head to DMV. Don't get agitated. The folks at DMV rarely get a smile or a 'thank you' so I find that a little patience and kindness goes a long way with them.

Go on-line and you can print out or request most of your forms in advance.
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/site/default.asp

Good luck,

Ken
Old 03-31-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
1930artdeco

As to your other question: what do you plan to do with the vehicle? If you are going to use it as a depot hack type of vehicle just leave it as is or alter to suit your needs. Do you have a family that you want to take around with you on tours? How much money do you have? Weather? All of these will play into what you want out of her.

I would recommend, since this is your first antique, drive it around get to know it and how these cars operate. They have there little quirks. Join a local club plus wither or both national clubs. This way you will get some knowledge under your belt and then you can say with more surety what you want to do with it.

Personally I like PU's and think they are very useful. They are great for around the yard/house projects or parades. So, welcome to the barn and go have some fun!

Mike
Old 03-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
Trailwanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post

If you read the Connecticut regulations, you need a bill of sale, and EITHER a title or a previous registration that has been signed over to you.

I had a cop I knew do the VIN verification showing the correct engine number. Grabbed my papers and headed to DMV praying I could get temps and schedule the inspection.
The bill of sale I have... I don't have a title or a previous registration... Where does that leave me? Do I need a VIN inspection? How do I get that done if I don't have plates to get it to the garage?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #16
1931 flamingo

Are you friendly with the local Police or the guy at the garage in your town (where are you in CT??) that does emission testing (they also do VIN verification) and see if they'll stop by your house and verify for you.
I bought mine out of state but with a title, worried for 2 weeks cause I deal with the DMV on a weekly basis. Borrowed a set of dealer plates and drove to the DMV. Guy said I needed a VIN verification, OK, went out, raised the hood and hoped the inspector didn't want to see the frame #. He came out with his clipboard and paper work and asked me where it was?? Showed him engine #. Good to go.
If you have a problem (you shouldn't as CT does not require an insp), you can always go back. Get your ducks in a line, bite the bullet and go. Bring money.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote