Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
28 Special Coupe

Default Headlight bulb questions

I have some questions about how headlight bulbs should be installed. My bulbs have two filaments, one that's pointy shaped, and one that's flat. Which bulb is the high beam, and which one is the low beam? Which filament should be on top? I assume they should be oriented horizontally, correct? Thanks for you help.
28 Special Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: Headlight bulb questions

Yes horizontal and the larger filament is the brights, put them in and give a test that is the best way
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

As Mark said, if the filaments have a different size wire, the thicker one is high beam (brighter and draws more amps) and is located about in the middle. The low beam is located on top so the reflector directs the light rays downward more.

Also as Mark said, the filaments are horizontal. Be sure to FOCUS as well as aim the lights. Check Marco's webiste.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Aerocraft

If you are installing these bulbs in a '28 Coupe with the original reflectors they will not work as you would expect since the early lights did not have the high / low beam feature. The early reflectors had the bulb exactly centered while the later reflectors had the bulb slightly offset vertically. The service bulletins explain this much better than I can.

Also, it is my understanding that the original bulbs (I have several boxes of original bulbs which go off like flash bulbs when used) had both of the filaments "pointy shaped". My last order for bulbs arrived with one filament flat as yours are. I wonder what that does to the beam and would be interested to hear an explanation from an optics expert. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
MikeK

Here are two pix of a Westinghouse Mazda 50/21 cp lamp with both filaments pointed like an inverted 'V'.

In the first pix you can clearly see that on the brass base one pin is marked "TOP".

In the second pix, slightly rotated, You see that the thinner filament will be up, or on top and the thick high beam filament on the bottom when installed correctly.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
28 Special Coupe

Thanks for your help, guys. Once you told me what to look for, it was a breeze to get right. The V shaped filament is centered in the bulb and is a little bit thicker, so it's obviously the high beam. The flat filament is offset in the bulb, so it's the low beam. I positioned the bulb with the flat filament on top and made sure the wiring was correct and it works like a charm! Thanks again.
28 Special Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
Special Coupe Frank

Don't be alarmed if your low-beam ( flat straight filament ) doesn't last very long....

I bought about a dozen 50/32 CP bulbs from one of the major vendors this spring, and went through about eight of them, the low beams failing after anywhere from 1/2 hour to a couple days. The bulbs are made in China.

The "pointy" high-beam filament seems to last longer.

Just for yuks, I tried some ancient (1930's) bulbs that I found in the garage, and those have lasted the longest so far, several months.

I am in the habit of always driving with my headlights on ( hoping that helps other drivers see ME ! ), so I probaly use my lights more than the average Model A owner.

I drive my Ford quite a bit, 3000 miles since January.

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote