Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl
Default Willow Run Video

Willow Run Bomber Plant Video....

Who knew? A Ford?

This film will absolutely blow you away - one B-24 every 55 minutes. ADOLF HITLER HAD NO IDEA THE U.S. WAS CAPABLE OF
THIS KIND OF THING. There is no way he could have even guessed.

For those who live outside of Michigan , Willow Run is near Bellville,
Canton and Ypsilanti , MI

It's amazing that one B-24 (Built with over 1.25 million parts) came off the
assembly line every 55 minutes

Take a few minutes to watch this snapshot of history.

Click on:

Bomber_plant.wmv <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/15654030/1604819366/name/bomber_plant.wmv>

jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
TonyM

Default Re: Willow Run Video

It took one year from spade to a real factory (that could never happen today). Then it took many months to get the factory going. It was called "Willit Run"? because of all the snafus that were encountered. At first, they were just assembling components and assemblies to make a plane; it took some time before they were really building. It was an amazing feat to get this factory going in such a short period of time.

As a WWII historian of some note, I have to disagree with you whether Hitler knew of the industrial capacity of the United States; he was well aware. He was just trying to play beat the clock. He thought he could beat the Russians and British before the US could do anything. He was wrong. We owe a lot to the Russians for taking the brunt of the aggression while we tooled up. The Russians lost over 30 million people in WWII; we lost about 500,000 all told.

TonyM.

Anthony J. Mireles
www.warbirdcrash.com
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
26 lakes

Watching that video sure shows how much America was behind World War II. I wonder [or doubt] if America could repeat that today.
26 lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
bob da-bear

tojo & hitler.. never had a chance ! what where they thinking ? I can only hope we can do it today, do we have the industry, I HOPE SO ! da- bear
bob da-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
26 lakes

Or the MAN parts.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
ems customer service

and done with out all the snotty collage grads we have to day
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
26 lakes

and the political correctness of our military.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
TonyM

A kid who went to my high school was killed while test flying those B-24s out of Willow Run. His name was Lt. Kenneth Howmiller, Lansing, Illinois; he was killed on 19 August 1944 when his B-24 crashed at Imlay City, Michigan. He was 25.

TM
Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Cecil/WV

Ford built planes and Jeeps and Willys built Jeeps. What did GM and Chrysler build for the war??
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #10

Things Are Not Done That Way Today.
3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
TonyM

Cecil/WV,

Here is the answer to your question: "What did GM and Chrysler build for the war?"

GM built Cadillac engines used in tracked vehicles and also built many tens of thousands of the famous GMC Two and Half Ton Truck with various beds (Dump truck, open truck; Fuel Truck, water truck, etc.) and the famous DUKW-353 or better known as "Ducks" amphibious truck. GM built the 6-71 Diesel engine for the M4A5 tank.

Trucks used for loading bombs on US aircraft were built by GMC (GMC M-6 Bomb Service Truck). GMC also built Airfield Crash Trucks and communication radio trucks. US Army used both Ford and Chevrolet Staff cars based on standard sedans. The GMC Suburban Carry-all was also in the US motor pool. GM made the M4A2 tank and the M5 tank with Cadillac engine. GM also made the Allison V-1710 V-12 aircraft engine used to power the P-40, P-39 and the famous P-38.

Chrysler made engines for the M4A4 Medium Tank and the M3A4 tank; Dodge made the famous "WC" series of vehicles: the WC-54 Ambulance; the WC-51 Weapons Carrier; the WC-56 Command Car, WC-53 CarryAll, etc. These morphed into the famous "Power Wagon" series that we are all familiar with.

There are actual books written about all the vehicles that GMC made for just the US Army (GMC TRUCKS AT WAR). There is also a book treating the contribution of Chevrolet (CHEVROLET TRUCKS -- Vehicles for Victory).

And you didn't ask, but Packard made the Merlin V-12 engines (under license) for the famous P-51 Mustang.

TonyM.

Last edited by TonyM; 09-06-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
01aford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3340 View Post
Things Are Not Done That Way Today.

Amen to that!!
01aford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
flatheadfan

I could be wrong but believe GM made planes and engines and Chrysler made engines and tanks.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
TonyM

One type of original airplane was ever produced by General Motors: The P-75 Interceptor. It was a composite airplane made from the component pieces of the Curtiss P-40, Douglas SBD/A-24 series and the Chance-Vought F4U Corsair. The airplane did not perform very well and full production was never commenced.

On further review, General Motors did produce the Grumman TBF Avenger and Grumman F4F under license. The Avenger was designated the TBM; the Wildcat was designated FM-1 and was produced under a new company formed by GM, the Eastern Aircraft Company.

See my post above for GM and Chrysler contributions during the Second World War.

TonyM.

Last edited by TonyM; 09-06-2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added new information/correction
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
Tom's36coupe

I have seen this great video many times before, but never get tired of watching it! My father who is 86 now, was a tail gunner and radio man in the B24 Olde Maude and flew 48 bombing missions, many stories has dad told over the years. I wonder today if our younger generation could pull off what Ford did so many years ago, also wonder if Hundai or Toyota would turn their plants over to produce something OUR Country needed? I give thanks everyday for what my father's generation did in WW2! Oh, I also give thanks to my Dad for buying our 36 Ford 35 years ago!
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Cecil/WV,

Here is the answer to your question: "What did GM and Chrysler build for the war?"

GM built Cadillac engines used in tracked vehicles and also built many tens of thousands of the famous GMC Two and Half Ton Truck with various beds (Dump truck, open truck; Fuel Truck, water truck, etc.) and the famous DUKW-353 or better known as "Ducks" amphibious truck. GM built the 6-71 Diesel engine for the M4A5 tank.

Trucks used for loading bombs on US aircraft were built by GMC (GMC M-6 Bomb Service Truck). GMC also built Airfield Crash Trucks and communication radio trucks. US Army used both Ford and Chevrolet Staff cars based on standard sedans. The GMC Suburban Carry-all was also in the US motor pool. GM made the M4A2 tank and the M5 tank with Cadillac engine. GM also made the Allison V-1710 V-12 aircraft engine used to power the P-40, P-39 and the famous P-38.

Chrysler made engines for the M4A4 Medium Tank and the M3A4 tank; Dodge made the famous "WC" series of vehicles: the WC-54 Ambulance; the WC-51 Weapons Carrier; the WC-56 Command Car, WC-53 CarryAll, etc. These morphed into the famous "Power Wagon" series that we are all familiar with.

There are actual books written about all the vehicles that GMC made for just the US Army (GMC TRUCKS AT WAR). There is also a book treating the contribution of Chevrolet (CHEVROLET TRUCKS -- Vehicles for Victory).

And you didn't ask, but Packard made the Merlin V-12 engines (under license) for the famous P-51 Mustang.

TonyM.
This listing is not comprehensive by any means, but it is a good sampling of what GM and Dodge/Chrysler were doing during WWII. I think Chrysler made a couple types of gun motor carriage, but I am not sure so don't quote me on it (would have to go back and look at the reference material). There are quite a few books out there that have the info on this.

And General Motors did produce the Grumman TBF Avenger under license. Now that I think about it. I went back and corrected my post above.

TonyM.

TonyM.

Last edited by TonyM; 09-06-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #17
19Fordy

The "Greatest Generation" has truly earned that title. Just think, all designed with slide rules and traditional machining without CNC. Amazing.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
Merc Cruzer

If I am not mistaken, this is the same plant the Nova was built in around 69'-70'....
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #19
FL&WVMIKE

..... "The Greatest Generation" .....
These men and women, who grew up during the great depression, deserve that label !
I had a first cousin, who was awarded the DISTINGUISHED FLYING CROSS for navigating their B-24 back from over Germany, at night, after all the navigation equipment was destroyed by FLAK. He used, only the stars, and found their air base in England, therefore, saving the whole crew.
His name was James Cranwell from Covington, Virginia.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #20
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
..... "The Greatest Generation" .....
These men and women, who grew up during the great depression, deserve that label !
I had a first cousin, who was awarded the DISTINGUISHED FLYING CROSS for navigating their B-24 back from over Germany, at night, after all the navigation equipment was destroyed by FLAK. He used, only the stars, and found their air base in England, therefore, saving the whole crew.
His name was James Cranwell from Covington, Virginia.
MIKE
Yeah, Man. That is why I spend a lot of time reading and writing about these guys (and gals) from WWII--they are the greatest. I have another book honoring WWII vets coming out soon. Dedicated to the men who flew and died in the Asia/Pacific Theater.

TM