Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Shadetree

Default Mouse Catcher

Back some time ago, maybe on the old Fordbarn, we had discussions and pictures of mouse control in our garages. There were some ingenious ways to catch mice. One was using a 5 gallon plastic bucket half full of water and a gang plank with bait on it. Does anyone still have a picture of this method?

I know it sounds cruel and gruesome, but it is even more cruel and gruesome to see the damage mice can do to our old Fords.

Shadetree
Old 07-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Mouse Catcher

SHADETREE ..................
Get a CAT !
I've always had cats and never mice. Works for me !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
David J

Talking Re: Mouse Catcher

Hey Mikey , Good call az meeses iz yust munchies ta kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
SHADETREE ..................
Get a CAT !
I've always had cats and never mice. Works for me !
MIKE
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Tinker

We have fruit trees and it seems to attract these dang fruit rats. I hate rodents.

I'm doing glue traps and the good old snap traps. Nothing yet with the glue traps but 1 with the snap trap.

We have an outside cat that roams around, but the dogs chase the cat out of the garage.

Wasn't it anti-freeze that you put in the bucket? Man I'd hate to forget about it and comeback to a few day old bucket of rodent soup.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
tierod

Thumbs up Re: Mouse Catcher

fill a cooking pan with dry cement mix and stick a few carrot pieces in it. mouse eats carrot along with a little cement, goes out for water and bye bye rodent. mean? you decide
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
okiedokie

I don't have a picture, but it is use a bucket filled with whatever fluid you like cause tyhe rodents will drown. Put a piece of wood from the ground to the center of the bucket, hang a string off the board with peanut butter on the end of the string. Supposedly the rodent will climb the board, hang down to get the bait, and fall into the water. It has never worked for me. I keep Dcon bait stations around the shop, hidden where the dog can't get em. I put fresh ones out each fall, seems to work. I had [have?] a problem with rats in our flower beds and managed to get them by accident. I put out some of the type of traps that they go into to get bait [peanut butter] and a door closed behind them, trapping the little critters. Well, the next day the bait doors had been chewed open and the pbutter gone. I then put more pbutter in them and mixed some poison in the pbutter. The nest evening I heard a rustling in the greenery and found a dying rat with 5 babies along side dead. That is why she chewed the bait doors open, she was too big to get inside. A few weeks later I heard evidence of another one and managed to get it with peanut butter in one of the real big rat snap traps.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
nelsb01

Please remember -- if you use anti-freeze (whether old or new) and you have pets..........say bye bye to the pets along with the rodents.
Dogs especially like the taste of anti-freeze .............. you can not get them to the vet fast enough and pouring straight vodka down their throats to counter act it doesnt let you know the results until it maybe too late.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
ford38v8

Bruce... Apparently, your State Bird doesn't fancy anti-freeze?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
28RPU

I don't have a photo, but I have used the 5 gallon bucket method. It works. There are videos of it on youtube.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Cool Hand Lurker

This is what I use. It works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mouse Trap.jpg (120.5 KB, 102 views)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Shadetree

Cool Hand,
I have never seen this one before, but it sure looks like it would work. I made one yesterday and took it the farm. I took a wooden dowel and secured a wooden strip to it with screws. I put a gob of peanut butter on the gang plank. No one lives in our farm house and the field mice have found a way in. I just checked this morning and no mice have walked the gang plank. This winter the trap goes in my garage, like yours, it re-loads itself.

Thanks for the picture.

Shadetree
Old 07-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
rlh37ford

Thumbs up Re: Mouse Catcher

The bucket idea should certainly work. My solution also works. A simple plastic snap trap w/plastic treadle made by "Intruder" bated w/peanut butter. The old standby wooden Victor traps work too; but file a taper on the bottom of the pressed metal "catch" that locks the wire arm to provide a "hair" trigger to help the mouse trip the trap release before it gets the peanut butter. If using the plastic trap, screw it to a 2" wi. wooden shingle about 4"-6" lg.. This prevents plastic trap from bouncing too far for you to retrieve. I place one on the garage floor at the rear of one rear tire of each car. Check your traps weekly (more often in Winter). The easiest way for mice to enter your car is via the tires from the floor. The traps stay dry & are easy to empty the DEAD rodent. I don't like the idea of carrying a bucket of heavy liquid somewhere to dump rotting rodents. Mice even like moldy peanut butter as proven by my catches in one section of our cellar where dampness makes peanut butter moldy after a few weeks. BTW, make sure your visors are folded down during the Winter. This is a common place for mice to eat into headliners for nest material if they've entered the car through a floor board hole.
rlh37ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
Mike/Nebraska

pour CocaCola in jar lids and leave around, Rodents can't belch or fart so the implode from the inside out.
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
Capn John

Exclamation Re: Mouse Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
please remember -- if you use anti-freeze (whether old or new) and you have pets..........say bye bye to the pets along with the rodents.
Dogs especially like the taste of anti-freeze .............. You can not get them to the vet fast enough and pouring straight vodka down their throats to counter act it doesnt let you know the results until it maybe too late.
had that happen to our dog, be careful!!!! RIP
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
roundvalley

I take raw bacon rind and tie it on a spring trap trigger. Good for at least 10 mice before you rebait.
Tried peanut butter but we have shrews and they can lick it off without setting the trap off.
roundvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
Cool Hand Lurker

The bucket trap works well because the drum with the peanut butter on it has a welding rod through the center and it spins easily when a mouse jumps to it. Then the mouse falls into the water. Blurp!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
itslow

When using the ol' Victor snap traps, line 2-3 up side-by-side in a line with the trigger side against a wall or vertical surface. If the mouse is able to get the bait off the first trap, the one next to it should get 'em.

I also like to go "shock and awe" and use a lot of traps. Get 'em quick before they can really start multiplying. Last fall I had 16 traps out and got something like 8 mice in a 24 hour period, then didn't have a trace of any more still around after that.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #18
rlh37ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
When using the ol' Victor snap traps, line 2-3 up side-by-side in a line with the trigger side against a wall or vertical surface. If the mouse is able to get the bait off the first trap, the one next to it should get 'em.

I also like to go "shock and awe" and use a lot of traps. Get 'em quick before they can really start multiplying. Last fall I had 16 traps out and got something like 8 mice in a 24 hour period, then didn't have a trace of any more still around after that.
This side-by-side, multiple snap trap approach is exactly what's recommended for rat control on the web. Concept is the same in order to catch multiple rats ASAP. But, they also indicate rats are smart & it's suggested that the multiple traps be baited but not set. This allows the rats to get used to a feeding area for several days. Then attach new bait & set all the traps. I doubt this will help any of you re. car protection, but for those of us who've had rats in crawl spaces w/o cellars, a solution is needed.
rlh37ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
Marcus

Shadetree - IF you remember, I TOLD you that we had NO rats, mice or other such in any of the garages (and you've seen the location of the garages)......CATS! They are cheap to feed, endless entertainment - and I've NEVER even SEEN a mouse, rat or whatever.........
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #20
55 dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
This is what I use. It works great.
this is a close version of what i have used in the past: i used soda can because of smooth surface and this type of trap works great. watched my 11 year old cat this morning outside honing her craft with a mouse hanging from her "personal mouse trap" her mouth! best part is when you get too close and she growls at you letting ya know it's snack time.
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote