Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
jerry shook

Default Original or not ?

Is your model (a) original or been restored to original ?. Or have you added something that is not original . Just wondering. Merry christmas.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Popeye31

Default Re: Original or not ?

Three of mine are originals and are being restored as original the fourth one is going with a flaty v8 otherthan that it will be original.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

Mine was "restored" in the late 80's, However, the colors are not correct for '31, it has f/glass fenders and aprons. It does not have any body/chassis mods, has mohair uph, arm rests, patina, etc AND gets a lot of attention when she's out and about. It was purchased as a driver because it was 'finished", really nothing else needed to drive and enjoy. Purchased 3/10 with 615 (odometer was zeroed) miles on it.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Georgew48

Mine was all original except the 35 wheels when I bought it. I plan on keeping it that way. I would like to have a set of original wheels and tires just so I could have a complete original car but I like driving it with the 35 wheels.
Georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
kenparker

Talking Re: Original or not ?

My '28 pickup will be all original when finished (under reconstruction now).

The 31 S/W is almost - and i am reluctant to use this word on Fordbarn - a Street Rod, as in beefed up A engine. 4 speed tranny, 16" wheels, Toyota bucket front seats, A/C, and other amenities to make it go faster.

The 31 Coupe - in my avatar - has a 4 speed tranny F150 and an alternator, other than that is is original.

28 speedster, well in speedsters What is original?

Which one do I like driving the most? The Coupe by far.

One more thing. Thats Tillie, Miz Charlotte, Miz Mibble and Miss E.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tillie & charlotte.jpg (87.8 KB, 51 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
BCCHOPIT

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Speed parts added and unwanted parts taken off for more speed but is still runs Henry paint, stock seats modified by mice
Old 12-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
eagle

Mine's original, purchased from the original owner in the early 50's, kept up along the way but the second owner until 2009 then sold 3 times before I got it, never restored. In 2010 the valves were done with hardened seats, etc. Its a Fordor sedan and usually the wood is a bit "saggy" on most Fordor originals I've seen. The wood on mine is absolutely perfect. Like the day it rolled off the assembly line as far as I can see when I crawl under it etc. I added a second tail light, blinkers, and SS grill guard but other than that it hasn't been modified.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Patrick L.

I guess mine is somewhat original,in that, it was painted, rumble seat installed, and made to look like a deluxe sometime in the 60s or early 70s before I bought it in '76.. The engine was last done in 1961 so the work may have been done at or near that time, don't know for sure.. I'm planning to return it to Standard sometime soon..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
HoarseWhisperer

Canadian low mileage original, except painted yellow over the original colour sometime prior to 1970.

The upholstery and rubber survived. Previous owner suggested that I scrape off the yellow down to the original colour with a razor blade. After some hours of this, I realized that it wasn't going to happen in my lifetime.

So I had it stripped down and repainted, losing some of the original rubber and side curtain snaps in the process. I wish I would have had more patience.

Engine rebuild last year.

The only thing I haven't been able to verify as original is the top. The bows still have Canadian robertson screws as does the rear curtain frame.

While not a purist, I try to be a preservationist for future caretakers of this 80 year old vehicle.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
rwp

Mine was restored original in 1974.
rwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
harleyjj

mine is an original survivor. painted in the fifties still has portions of its original interior. engine was rebuilt at some point I believe in the eighties. The car has never been restored just fixedd up a bit as necessary over the years.
harleyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
pooch

June 28 AR phaeton....original paint unrestored.

I would guess the roof is too good to be 83 years old.

Seats have been recovered at some time.

12 volt with alternator, have powerhouse to go back on.

Has 2nd tail light and indicators.

My present project is a 28 rumble roadster street rod with 30 fenders/aprons.

Will have fold down screen/ original dash/speedo (if I can get this to work with gearbox) using original cowl tank.

Legal for 4 with belts.

Running a commodore (buick with injection) V6/5 speed/LSD 4 wheel discs/cragar mags/holden front end.

Will have a rear rack/trunk to carry a nissan 300 ZX space saver spare.

Fully fendered/front and rear bumpers/bonneted (hood) to look like a traditional 60/70s rod.

Had old cars all my life but want something that I can jump in and travel anywhere at anytime and keep up with highway traffic safely.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #13
John Stone

Mine are about as original as I could make them.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
supergnat

My 28 Leatherback is pretty much original. There is no body filler anywhere, only some surface rust underneath, and all the wood I can see is in great condition. The body has never been off the frame. Unfortunately the second owner did a poor blue paint job at some point. Although I was told the top was original when I the car it, I suspect the top was replaced at some point since it is black and I don’t think Ford made any Leatherbacks with black tops in 1928. It has the original split shaft brake set-up and three of the four original non-adjustable brake rods. It still has original steel brake drums and actually stops. I think the interior is original too but I don’t know how to tell for sure. The engine was never rebuilt as far as I know and the serial number matches the original bill of sale (which I have). The third owner, from whom I purchased the car, installed a leakless water pump, power cut-off switch, new wiring harness, seat belts and turn signals. Sadly the original electric wiper assemble was in a bag pieces when got the car. The casting is broken. I have personally rebuilt the front end (not the springs), front brakes, installed a rebuilt speedometer, and I rebuilt the starter. I plan to work on the rear brakes and bearings this winter. It starts and drives fine but there are some strange engine noises which I am investigating. The firewall date is 10-2-28. My goal is to keep it on the road and mechanically safe.
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

My roadster isn't completely original. I took a few liberties, none of which were necessary but I felt would enhance drivability. It has matching numbers engine and frame. I run twelve volts with the original generator, Fun Projects can style voltage regulator, generator cooler band, halogen headlamp bulbs, 5.9 head, Winfield super street 3/4 race cam, single lock adjustable valve lifters, bronze cam gear, Trojan dual updraft intake manifold with B carbs, Model B flywheel, Pertronix flame thrower coil, B distributor cam, wireless lower distributor plate with acorn nut, temperature gauge, Fumaze crankcase breather, Water pump improvements, such as brass Rear bushing with 2 seals, leakless brass packing nut, modern front bearing and sleeve, aluminum repro balanced two blade fan. I also use two clip on wind wing mirrors, red candy striped gearshift knob, right hand tail lamp and gutted muffler . The body is original with original fenders and door handles. Its not a perfect original but its the way that I want it and I did it all myself. No butchery was required for any of these mods. Any of the mods could be easily reversed and I have all of the original parts to do so. Due to the improvements that these mods give, I can't imagine a reason to ever change any of these mods . xxx

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-21-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #16
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

My Truck is orginal and restoring it a orginal, but insert bearings and rods.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

My late 31 tudor is mostly original style. The mods are temperature and oil pressure gauges and whitewalls. The colors are not an original combination but original colors. The lower color is french gray and the upper is sea gull gray. It has a Marlar rebuilt engine with correct side bowl Zenith carb. xxx
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Steve Wastler

My roadster was being restored toward original in the 80s when I got it, but with lots of repop parts, been reversing it since have compiled many mint and NOS parts. Mailtruck is original, will be restored very original.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
columbiA

I like being able to drive on main hiways & long trips,so I installed a 33-B eegine w-a 35# flywheel & 5.9 head, A trans & Columbia OD with 4.11 & 2.94 ratios This combo works great for me. I also have a 160* T-stat,early AR clutch release lever for much less pedal pressure.I rebuilt the steering gear with needle brgs on sector & thrust also shortened pitman arm & used teflon ball seats. At my age its nice to use less muscle in my arms & legs!
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
mrtexas

My E28 is restored to my tastes. Gone is the multi-disc transmission(although is shifted very good), E28 rear end, and mechanical brakes. On are front disc brakes and dual master cylinder with 40 wheels(small) in front and 35 wheels(biggy) in back, F-1 steering box, 39 transmission, tricked out touring engine with all the goodies, Weber downdraft, rear bumper, twin taillights, and 31 rear end with Mitchell overdrive. I have a new Riley 2 port to install once I finish a few other projects around here like painting my 29 roadster. I bought it with non-original upholstery and am considering replacing it with original style.

I've kept all the original scarce E28 parts in case I change my mind or sell it.
mrtexas is online now   Reply With Quote