Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2024, 11:27 AM   #41
Hitman

Default Re: sign of the times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditorama View Post
Thats why heavy duty semis are still predominantly stick shift
If you look, just about all new semi’s and other heavy duty trucks are automatics. Most on the road today are automatic. Some manufacturers like Kenworth, don’t even offer manual transmissions. I think it’s more for fuel efficiency, safety, and lack of driver skill more than anything else. That and durability have greatly increased over the last 20 years.

DSG, PDK and other truly dual clutch transmissions are a blast to drive!
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 08:40 PM   #42
acchaplin

I’m sure most people on here also complained when the rotary phone went away,

I wish they would bring back the rotary dial phone! That way we wouldn't have to "Push One For English"!
acchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:14 PM   #43
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Don’t forget about paddle shifters. We have them on my wife’s 04 Lexus and my 2010 BMW. I’ve never gotten comfortable using them because I don’t have much opportunity to use them but with experience I’m sure i would be able to use them effectively.

A lot of things are a matter of practice. I’m left handed but I’m sure it would be strange to shift with my left hand. At least you guys down under don’t put the gas petal on the left foot.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:35 PM   #44
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Don’t forget about paddle shifters. We have them on my wife’s 04 Lexus and my 2010 BMW. I’ve never gotten comfortable using them because I don’t have much opportunity to use them but with experience I’m sure i would be able to use them effectively.

A lot of things are a matter of practice. I’m left handed but I’m sure it would be strange to shift with my left hand. At least you guys down under don’t put the gas petal on the left foot.

David Serrano
The great Italian racing driver of the 1920s, Nuvolari grew tired of refining the car his team gave him to use only to have it taken from him at the last moment and given to his "team mate". In an effort to stop the BS, it is said he interchanged the clutch and brake, and when the other driver tried to drive it, he stalked off, defeated. Nuvolari drove and went on to win. He had practiced driving with the pedals like that and was at home with it.
IMO, that is good eveidence that we CAN change
Old 05-21-2024, 06:37 AM   #45
P.S.

The "rolling coal" dingbats prefer the manual transmission diesel pickups.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:55 AM   #46
nkaminar

My heavy duty 2016 Diesel Siverado pickup has an automatic transmission. I use it to pull my camping trailer. In trailer mode the transmission keeps the engine at about 2,000 rpm and will automatically downshift going down a grade. I have a Diesel brake too that restricts the exhaust to slow down the truck. Everything is automatic. I rarely have to use the brakes except for stopping at a stop light. The trailer and the truck combined weigh about 20,000 pounds.

OK, back to my Model A. I have the Miller overdrive and the Miller synchronized transmission. I use the overdrive in second for hilly backroad areas, going up or down. I will occasionally use the overdrive in low gear on really steep dirt roads. I am sure all you all also use the lower gears to help the brakes.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 06:55 AM   #47
Jemelton#

When in high school drivers training in the early 60s we took it in a compact ford donated by a local dealer who then sold it on his used car lot. As it was a 3 on the tree hopefully he replaced the clutch before it was sold! Anyway one of the tasks we had to accomplish was to stop at the top of a hill, shut the motor off, then restart it without rolling down backwards, the proceed up the hill. what fun!!
Jemelton# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:06 AM   #48
Keith True

In high school I taught my girlfriend how to drive a standard.She was refusing to learn the stop and take off on a hill.So as we were going up the hill in town I hollered for her to stop.She slammed on the brakes,and she thought she was about to run over a cat or something.She wouldn't budge,so I got out of the car and said to pick me up at the top of the hill.I didn't think that 61 VW would spin the tires,but it did.She came up that hill and kept right on going.I had to walk a mile home,and she was sitting on the steps talking to my father.I think they were waiting to ride me about it,but the first thing I said was,see,you did it with no problem.She still drives a stick,but her husband of 45 years won't.He drives truck,and says he rows all day,and is not going to row anywhere if he's not getting paid to.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:30 AM   #49
JayJay

When I was in college (early 70’s) I had a Volvo sedan (long story) with a four speed. My girlfriend didn’t have a car, so I had to teach her to drive the four speed. She was game, did well, and her first car was an ‘64 Beetle (boy, do I wish I still had that car!). After we were married we didn’t get an automatic car or truck until well into the 90’s. I point this out to her whenever I ask her to drive the Model A, but she refuses. I think she figures that I’ll get tired of driving the Model As and get rid of them, but I don’t see that happening.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:49 PM   #50
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
My heavy duty 2016 Diesel Siverado pickup has an automatic transmission. I use it to pull my camping trailer. In trailer mode the transmission keeps the engine at about 2,000 rpm and will automatically downshift going down a grade. I have a Diesel brake too that restricts the exhaust to slow down the truck. Everything is automatic. I rarely have to use the brakes except for stopping at a stop light. The trailer and the truck combined weigh about 20,000 pounds.

OK, back to my Model A. I have the Miller overdrive and the Miller synchronized transmission. I use the overdrive in second for hilly backroad areas, going up or down. I will occasionally use the overdrive in low gear on really steep dirt roads. I am sure all you all also use the lower gears to help the brakes.
Miller or Mitchell?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:08 PM   #51
Dale'45

My friend teaching his replacement how to shift the Mack Quadraplex by double clutching. Replacement's answer to that was don't be foolin me, I know that other one is the brake.
Dale'45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:59 PM   #52
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
When I was in college (early 70’s) I had a Volvo sedan (long story) with a four speed. My girlfriend didn’t have a car, so I had to teach her to drive the four speed. She was game, did well, and her first car was an ‘64 Beetle (boy, do I wish I still had that car!). After we were married we didn’t get an automatic car or truck until well into the 90’s. I point this out to her whenever I ask her to drive the Model A, but she refuses. I think she figures that I’ll get tired of driving the Model As and get rid of them, but I don’t see that happening.
When we are on a rally, I have to keep my eye on my wife or she will be in the driver's seat demanding to drive the next section.
One of our clubs runs an annual event strictly for women drivers. We figure that if we are maybe 1,000 miles from home and the husband gets sick, she has to drive the car home. It has happened and fortunately, that wife was quite comfortable behind the wheel but most others wouldn't have a chance