View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
OLD...BILL

Default Re: Valve Removal Flathead yet again!

If you insist on using all the old or stock parts ( big mistake ) IMHO... there is a tool you need , about 8 inch long with loop offset in the center, with the valve open or up as hight as you can get it, this new tool slids under the valve and you pound the valve guide down about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, now you can pull the horse show clip out, still not easy but thay will come out now. this is good time to soak some, or get a beer, I would roll the block on its side and poor in some of our homemade blaster/sooker, stuff ie ACETONE & ATF "auto trans fluid"50/50 mix. the 1/4 inch movement of the guide, helped free it up some, not a lot but some, and some of the valves assumbles will come out now ?? others will need some more help. with your prybar ?? now with the ACETONE off gassed I..."I" would go in there with a cutting tourch and blow everthing away, and renew everthing with NEW 49/53 valve train,,,, new clean and nice to work with.... and my way roll the block over and all that junk will fall out, some lifters will fall out too. all lifters can come out now,and the cam will come out and with a drift punch you can drive the still stuck valve/guides out...now some will jump in here and NO>>NO<>>NO>>NO not the new stuff, run the old and spend time and money and find a real good shop to do all the hard work and grind and set valve lash,,, what it take to get it to run and sound good....at this point I am going to stop ....and you can get back to your big prybar ....and cold beer ....have fun .....good luck ..... OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote