View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #28
Hivolt5.0

Default Re: T86 clutch and pressure plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
Hivolt....I just noticed your thread on the trans. I recently did that same trans for another customer, so I am familiar with it and the overdrive. FYI...the T86 trans was a Borg Warner unit and unfortunately NONE of the gears will interchange with the regular Ford standard trannies of that era.....except of course any other T86 from another Ford. We normally have most of the gears here and can get other pieces if needed from our other sources.

Judging from your pics.....and it was hard to see much, but I saw jagged teeth on the first gear portion of the cluster gear. You said that the 1st/reverse slider gear was also worn but I didnt see much in the pic. In either case, the wear on these two gears would certainly tend to cause problems with popping out of 1st gear.

We have all the gaskets and seals in fresh stock in case you need any of that. We also do rebuilding if you can't find anyone close to you for the work.

Was the overdrive part working ok?
Thank you for the info Mac VP. I bought the Ranchero from 40Cpe a few years ago and he has another T86 that I'm going to get from him to hopefully do some gear swapping. I also bought a gasket and synchro set from Ole Don to use in the rebuild. (Thanks guys!!!!!!) Do you think I could rebuild the transmission myself if I have a good manual?? Like most people, I have more time than money so I try to do as much as I can on these projects.

As for the OD portion, I've never had it working. 40Cpe said that it whined some over 45 mph but it wouldn't go into OD when I purchased it from him. We both think there are some wiring issues. You can hear the relay clicking on the firewall and I have a new kickdown switch to install.
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote