View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 52-56 Wagon gas tanks

Any attempt to use air pressure to push the bottom of the tank back out would be fruitless, but could possibly cause weaker areas of the tank where rust has pitted the metal to become ruptured.
Not only is the entire bottom of the tank caved in, but in the middle of the tank there is a drop-down area where the float should sit when the tank gets near empty. On my tank there is a huge dent there. That part of the tank is very strong and there is no way to fix that without cutting the tank halves apart and attack the big dent from above with a peice of lumber and a hammer.
I have no doubt that suppliers could sell a lot of tanks to owners of 52-56 Ford wagons. This isn't the only Ford website I frequent, and I have run across folks on many forums on different sites who have expressed the need for replacement tanks for their wagons (particularly '55 & '56's). As to how profitable it might be for the supplier to go to the trouble of offering them, I could only guess if it would be worth it to them.
I spoke to someone from Auto City Classic Inc on the phone today. The info I gave in my original post is what he told me over the phone. He also said that he had some on order.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote