View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
OLD...BILL

Default Re: Steps I took to make car run cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford View Post
My car in the summer would get up around 190 degrees when I drove it downtown and made several stops. Maybe that’s not to bad, but I would like to get it to run as cool as possible, not only for my comfort, but also for the engine. The following is a list of things I’m doing to hopefully make it run cooler.

1. Put acid in block to remove rust and grim
2. Rebuilt engine and had the machine shop hone cylinder holes to the high side of tolerance to cut down of friction
3. Had distributor rebuilt and timing set correctly (I hope)
4. Installed skip’s water pumps and coil
5. Flush out low mileage radiator and put thin coat of paint on radiator
6. Install new radiator hoses for better flow
7. Install radiator overflow tank
8. Install original 6 blade fan
9. Put purple ice in radiator
10. Install 3:54 gears so engine would run at lower Rpm’s
11. Installed new muffler system for better exhaust flow
12. Adjust braking system so there is no drag on the brake shoes
13. My car is an early 35 that had the solid inner fenders. I’m in the process of swapping those out for the fin ones.

When I get finished, I will let you know if these modifications lower the temp or not. Is there anything else I can do.
I don't see a heating problem, we barnes would be happy at that temp.running. ..#11. installed new muffler system ?? Is that muffles with "S" or one pipe, or I hope duals?? and what or whos muffler'S ? and now the "HEADERS" If your staying with the original ( big mistake ) think about the heat the stock header will transfer to the engine block side, you can not slide a number two pencel between the two, and just inside, is the water your trying to cool ?? A good tube header,will move the heat out and away from the engine block side.. NOT "Fentons" there made of something heavy too.and thay also stay close ...and there rough inside, not smooth liks a tube...
TEMPERATERA; Your gage, whos are you reading, the original or a good after market. Stewart-Warner. or ? and maybe connect two. like someone else said ..for this test ?? ...
...and ..... OLD....BILL...... opens a another can of worms.....
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote