View Single Post
Old 03-08-2024, 02:58 PM   #14
WTSHNN

Default Re: Why a fabric roof?

This question comes up once a year or so and there are some well thought out responses in those threads if you wanted to search for them.

There were presses capable of stamping out large body panels such as those on AA panel trucks. Those panels were larger than the roof of a coupe, tudor, or fordor. So the technology existed.

I own a Budd Steel Top truck and if you look at that design and the later V8 cabs with the steel roofs you know they could have deployed it on the passenger cars, definitely the coupe if not the fordors and tudors. Ford made a design change on the roof between '31 and '32 where the rear seam of a '31 was across the top of the roof and in '32 they had the roof panel curve downwards to meet a horizontal seam at the top of the back of the cab.

I've heard the other concern was heat and sound dissipation on the steel top. I've driven it in 100 degree heat and don't think it gets any hotter in there than other body styles.. I've driven it in downpours and, one time, in hail, it was loud but not unbearable.

-Tim