Thread: Garage lifts
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #36
montanajohn

Default Re: Garage lifts

I bought a Backyard Buddy 7000-lb 4-post after doing some research on design. What I like about their construction is that the posts are large square tubing that have rectangular slots cut into them, into which solid steel dogs are automatically inserted as the lift rises. At the chosen height, you ease-off on the hydraulics, and all the weight goes onto the dogs sitting in the slots. To lower the lift, you actually have to raise the lift a little to take the weight off, so you can extract the dogs (all 4 at once). It is a very safe design. No danger from hydraulic failure, and the square tubing can't spread apart and let your car fall on you. Cheap lifts, some if not most, have U-channel posts with welded tabs into which a ratchet (pawl) or cam engages to hold the weight. The channels can flex and let the pawls slip off, with disasterous results. In recent ads, it looks like one of the offshore makers offers a square-tube lift, but I can't tell for sure from the picture. I like the ability to store my '31 coupe in the raised position, thus freeing-up my shop floor. I did not buy the caster kit, but if I need to move the lift, a comealong works fine. I hope this info helps. My advice: Don't go the cheap route.
montanajohn is offline   Reply With Quote