View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Removing Broken Studs by Welding a Washer and Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cavallaro View Post
Before the head bolt breaks, wouldn't it be wise to put a torch to heat it up first? If it creates a contraction on the bolt and a expansion on the head, it sounds like it would save a lot of headaches to me.
\I used to think that way, now for head studs if they don't come out with the first heating I just twist them off and go to the washer/nut method. it is quicker

Sometimes the location or size of the broken bolt ---or screw prevents using the washer, I use a piece of copper and weld through a hole to prevent damage ---this has worked well for small screws into aluminum for holding dist caps on ,the coipper can be a sheld to keep sparks and splatter from getting into the wrong places and guides the weld to only the broke screw area

If the problem is deep in a hole I have made a sheet metal tube to prevent damage to the recess and weld from sticking to the wall --recently I removed locking lug bolts that were stuck in a 2 inch deep hole, with the mig welder I built a shaft long emough to grab with a pipe wrench, as I got toward the surface I changed the round "shaft" into a wide flat to make it easy to grip,
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote