View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Ignition- Electronic vs High Energy ????

Working my typical sat shift trying to get caught up and stopped for lunch.
There seems to be some confusion regarding electronic ignition versus high energy ignition systems , thought i might clear it up just a bit ???

1-Contact point controlled ignition: Uses a set ( one or two) contacts to close and open allowing the ignition coil to ground ( saturate) the winding allowing coil build up required to fire the air fuel mixture at the spark plug.
Usually this current flow will be 3-4 amps and ignition occurs when the points open allowing the magnetic field to collapse across the secoundary coil windings.
This spark is dependant of compression, engine load and circuit resistance...
a interesting point is that if the engine idled at 5,000 volts with the stock coil, the addition of a hotter coil would still idle at 5,000 volts. The ignition will only do what is needed....
Usually the oem manufacture will tailor this system for long life and good service from all components..

2-Electronic Ignition- In its base form changes nothing other than takes away the maintance of the adjusting and replacing the contact points. May not raise the coil voltage , just makes it a cleaner circuit. This was mandated by federal government as a emission control certifying the tune of a vehicle for 50,000 miles in the early 70s...

3-High Energy Ignition ( GMs term HEI)- Raises the output levels of the ignition by changing the control module, secondary wires and the ignition coil. (and to the delight of the federal government raises the service intervals and there for cleaner emissions for longer mileage.) It extended the mileage i can drive my car and not do any thing to it with a coil output of 50-60,000 volts. This additional voltage also was extremely hard on all circuit parts.

Then the discussion centers around the need and the word " WHY".

High compression and high rpm may provide this need for another ignition system. However most of our flatheads are low rpm and low compression and may not have this need..

Ex: My 2012 GMC Truck has a coil per cylinder, 420 HP and direct gasoline fuel injection and idles at 2,000 volts !!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote