View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #15
hulleywoodworking

Default Re: 1951 F1 Front Rack & Pinion Steering and Suspension Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboychuck View Post
John, this pretty much boils down to what you want,but like yourself I asks questions to get different ideas and then go from there. So do you want to go back to original? That was the best that Henry had at the time, but as you know there has been advances since then and if you want those then go with that. My 48 F1 has is all original except the engine which is a 57 223 6 cylinder that was in the truck when I bought it. I do not like how the truck drives nor do I like the drum brakes so I'll be changing them in the future to a Mustang II manual steering with disk brakes. With that you can lower the front end if you wish or keep the original height. I installed dropped axle in my 48 and like the look so I'll be putting in dropped spindles when the time comes. Hope this helps.
I don't necessarily want to go back to original, but it is an option that I am exploring. At this stage, I am looking at the options and seeking advice. For example, you don't like the way your truck drives or stops so you are going to change out the steering and brakes; can you quantify what it is that you don't like?

I learned how to drive on a 1971 F100 with 3 on the tree, manual steering, and drum brakes all around, so I imagine that the 1951 wouldn't be too different. However, that was a few decades ago, so maybe I won't feel so tough now?!

Anyway, I am starting with a bare slate, as the PO disposed of the original parts, except for the spindles, which were modified for the disc brake kit. I have started looking for the parts, and have found very little available at this point in time. That could change tomorrow, I know, so I am being patient. I could just pick up the Mustang II kit and drop it in, but I want to explore all of my options before I commit.

John
hulleywoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote