View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #59
George Miller

Smile Re: Mechanical vs. Juice brakes on an A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stipe View Post
I guess I can add my 2 cents for what its worth.
I see a post about too much HP at the rear wheels that it is a problem for the mechanical braking.
This is just from my experience and that is if you go through every detail of the mechanical brakes and a must that you install cast iron drums with the soft woven lining, the car will lock all for wheels with not a lot of pedal pressure and you can almost let go of the steering wheel.
I don't know what my HP I have at the rear wheels the engine dyno was close to 100 HP and 175 Ft lb. torque so I would guess 15% to 20% less and the rear wheels, but that is not a problem of stopping the wheels from locking up, it is the skinny tires, if your traveling 65 or 70 miles per hour! and any quick steering maneuver things can get hairy real quick. There simply is not enough rubber contact on the road with the narrow tires. At normal speeds in town or say 45 to 55 there great.
The mechanical brakes are great for me I love them there no trouble if the car sits too long, easy to adjust and repair and simple.

Just my opinion for what its worth.
I could not agree more. But I do think narrow tires are better in deep snow.
You must not have the chev head on that car if you only have a 100 hp
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote