Thread: Steering Box ?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
CWPASADENA

Thumbs up Re: Steering Box ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron/IA View Post
John - If I understand you correctly; you are stating the sector shaft that the pitman arm is fastened to is moving left and right 1/4". There is an adjustment for this. On the opposite of the box from the shaft end there should be a bolt with locking nut (it will be on the engine side of the steering box) that will take up that play when turned in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
There are 4 adjustments on the 2 tooth box which need to be performed in proper order.. The best I can say without going thru typing the procedure is to obtain a repair manual like Les Andrews or the Ford Service Bulletins..
If you are talking about end play in the sector shaft, I would try adjusting the sector shaft end play, just go a little at a time and keep turning the steering wheel from side to side, If the steering starts to bind a little in the straight ahead position, back it off a little. Do this with the front wheels off the ground. I think you will be able to get a much better feel for it.

As previously posted, this is really not the correct way to adjust the steering box but you may be able to help things a little, or a lot, by getting some of the end play out of the sector shaft.

If you still have a lot of play in the straight ahead position, I also would STRONGLY recomend getting some good instructions on the proper way to adjust the steering box and do it right.

My opinion,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote