View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Gary in Mozarks

Default Re: Replacing axle seals 39 ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom/SC View Post
Gary, some of these rear axle housings had a grease fitting just behind the backing plate flange. em and plug the holes(1/8 pipe). In order to replace the inner axle seals,the whole rear axle must be dismantled, the seals are inside the housing and require a special tool to replace, Macs Ford Parts has that tool. Some guys say that there is a seal that you can install without dismantling the rear end, I have never seen it nor have I used it, might be okay, I dont know for sure. Dismantling that whole rear axle is a big job, unless you have done it before, or unless you have a helper who has experienced it, try to avoid that job. I hope this info might help you! Tom
Tom Thanks for the info, My hubs don't have the grease fitting. It looks to me like rear end dope all over everything so I am guessing the seals are bad. Im going to have to do something about the seals before I put new brakes on it, and if that involves dismantling the rear end, thats what I will do. I need to located an exploded diagram of the rear end.
Thanks again
Gary in Mozarks
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote