View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #46
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Advice to change 6 volt to 12 volt Model A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If you want 60 amp capability the generator rebuild will require the mods that I outlined above. The generator will work positive or negative ground, but will need to be polarized as such. Of coarse you will have to change the common sense items such as battery and bulbs. You can still use the 6V coil if you use a ballast resistor. I chose to use the Pertronix 40.000 volt flame thrower coil. This coil is a 3.0 OHM epoxy filled coil that will mount and look just like any other replacement coil. Or you could use any 3.0 ohm replacement coil. You will need a voltage reducer for the horn if it is an original.

The advantage of 12 volt is faster cranking, brighter lights and readily available parts such as batteries, bulbs, battery cables, and coils.

The stock model A generator will charge 6, 8, or 12 volts without any modification but will put out less amps unless the armature is changed.

I am running a stock generator in our roadster on 12 volt. With this 12V setup I use the Fun Projects can style voltage regulator, this setup will charge 8 to 10 regulated amps. This is plenty enough amps for the brighter Austrailian halogen bulbs and faster cranking. Fun Projects also sells an 8 volt regulator if a person chooses to go that route. Eight volt batteries are more expensive and harder to find and really sets the hair on some of the die hards a$$es, even worse than the 12 volt conversion. If you change over it is best to keep it a secret, most will never know unless they see the battery, because there is NO other visable changes.

You can get the Austrailian halogen bulbs in 6V but they cost more and don't last as long, these bulbs are brighter than the 50 candle power original type bulbs but not nearly as powerful as the Quartz halogen bulbs that can be used with the 60 amp set up.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote