View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #46
Joe/Ct

Red face Re: Bad Condenser Symptoms?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
What symptoms point to a bad condenser? My 29, which has a new distributor with modern points, acted up something terrible lat night on a 50 mile run. It started with a random miss at 45 mph, and within 15 miles, we were limping along in first gear, bucking and powerless, with an occasional backfire out the carb. It acted as it had in the past, when the sloppy point block on my old distributor allowed the point gap to reduce to almost none. I pulled over and found the gap to be fine. The cap, rotor, points and condenser have maybe 200 miles on them. The coil is not new.

It was blowing snow and we were dressed in full 20's garb to attend the Rum Runners Ball in Cape May, NJ, with 5 miles to go! We limped to the party and left her there for the night. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I know that you solved your problem, but we experienced something very similar. In our case, the engine just stopped running. After a lot of investigating, including the change-out of condensers, it turned out that we had a totally blocked fuel tank filter. That was the problem, even though the sediment bowl appeared to be full.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote