View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1939 pickup new distributor

From the Q&A on Speedways site:

Q: I purchased this 1932-41 3 bolt distributor for my project car and im trying to get the other parts needed to install it. im a little confused with the install instructions supplied with the unit. Im converting my generator to 12 volts and an external voltage regulator has to be used as well. it says that if the flamethrower 1.5 ohm coil is used then a ballast resistor is not required but in the install instructions supplied with the distributor it shows a ballast resistor in figure #1 and it also shows a control box too. so im confused? should this unit be installed like in figure #2 but with the ballast resistor removed and the square coil shown changed to the flame thrower coil (part# 44745011).

A: Since you are using a coil with a built in resistor of 1.5 ohms you will not need to use an external ballast resistor. Simply connect the green wire to Coil -, the red wire to Coil +, and the black wire to ground. This distributor does not require an ignition box but you can use an ignition box if desired. The wiring diagram is provided to show the proper wiring with an ignition box.

From me: This is a 12v negative ground distributor. It requires resistance spark plug wires, solid core wires will not work and will damage the module in the distributor. The instruction sheet provided really has nothing to do with this distributor.

Last edited by JSeery; 09-04-2020 at 05:04 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote