View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
More Dust than Rust

Red face Re: 1935 Ford Wrecker

The big trucks aren't commanding a big price. I bought my '34 dump for $3500. on the advice of my brother (a HAMBstr) who wanted the sheet metal and '38 V8 for a hot rod. I knew the previous owner well who had driven the truck when he was in high school. It had been sitting in a shed for close to 30 years. I brought it home, threw in a carb and fuel pump kit, new tune up parts and it started right up on a remote gas tank. I've even been driving it around town a bit. The back of the cab is a little beat up around the rear window - as most commercial trucks that have seen service will be but very little rust through (rare up here in the New England), mostly just at the back of the cab where it meets the body where debris had collected there over the years. I'm up to about $5,000. now with door window glass and parts, paint, new fluids and a few other things but getting nervous about the spend for new tires and any attempt to spruce up the interior as I don't really think the truck will even bring $10,000. in the condition I will be able to get it in even as a very mechanically sound driver. Maybe wreckers are harder to come by, but it would seem buying a semi-finished project after someone has already done the mechanical stuff may be a better route. At least you will be eliminating the big dollar spends if you can take it for a drive like motor, brake work, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0286.jpg (67.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0287.jpg (41.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0300.jpg (66.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0317.jpg (41.5 KB, 58 views)
More Dust than Rust is offline   Reply With Quote