View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Richard in Florida

Default Re: Speedway one piece front crank seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
If the Speedway item is the one that's made of rubber, then that's the one to use. I've had good luck with them and find they conform better than the item with the aluminum shell. JMO
Jim
My experience with the rubber-outside seal in my 8BA was one of uneven fit in the timing cover and oil pan grooves. Initially, it was too tight in the timing cover and didn't go all the way into it. However, it fit the oil pan groove just fine.

The result was the seal sat too low. This made the timing cover push it down on the crankshaft, causing the lip of the seal to open up beneath the shaft... translating into a giant leak.

The cure was to "shave" the outside of the seal until it was able to go all the way into the timing cover. Since the seal could then float, it was also able to center itself on the shaft providing the correct seal all around it.

A generous amount of RTV was used during installation for good measure. After all the bolts were torqued, the RTV eventually cured, and the seal was secured in the ideal position.

Haven't seen a leak since assembling the engine six years ago.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote