View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 10:12 AM   #66
GB SISSON

Default Re: 276 stroker from 35 years of parts

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
You'll also need a small snap-gauge or inside machinist divider/calipers to get into the valley and measure the installed spring heights. Usually, you'll find that the installed heights will be pretty close and depending on what level of a "perfectionist" you are, you might get away with the same thickness and number of shims on all intakes and all exhausts.

I heated up an old set of dividers and curled the legs outwards and ground them flat and thin for the purpose. I'm a certain kind of perfectionist. I use unconventional methods, but I still like to end up with a part that fits and performs as intended. Don't forget I'm the guy who made teflon buttons for a set of pistons with bad circlip grooves an then there's kingpin honing using a long wooden spoon with a slot for sandpaper. I pulled a couple of adjustable lifters from the two sets and was unable to see an arc or radius on the bottom. On a ground surface they appear flat. I will investigate further, and look at some ford ones for comparison.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote