Thread: leaking carb.
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
larrys40

Default Re: leaking carb.

Larry,
when it's leaking.. put a finger in the carb throat at the choke shaft, if it's wet inside like Tom said the float level is too high, either because the needle and seat are sticking or it's just too high. If it's not check carefully around the carb bottom to see where the leak is coming from. Drain plug, crack, etc.

Set float to 5/8 I check needle and seats with a vacuum gauge. If it won't hold vacuum they are going to leak. I check them of course out of the carb. I like the viton tips but have sometimes had mixed success. Some of the "Steel" seats need to be slightly staked on the workbench to give a little set. Lightly tap the float end on the workbench to seat it into the seat slightly. My mentor Terry Oberer taught me that a few years back when I was having some chronic seat issues... and by golly... it does do the job at times. Do NOT do this to Vitons.. you will ruin them! Sometimes you just have to switch needle/seats. Again.. the vacuum test tells the most accurate story. As Tom said the floats sometimes get molested and worn. Make sure there is no "dished" out area on the float where the needle touches. If there is, dress it smooth and flat with a dremel... I also like to bench test a carb with a float gauge and fill line actually filling the carb with gas. If you do that and let it sit ( must be same level as on engine in car), you can see what it's going to do on the car. When I install them them I know they should be good.

Lots of guys out there with great knowledge more than me.. that's just some of my experience. Good luck!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote