Thread: Vapor lock!
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #45
newshirt

Default Re: Vapor lock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
I have seen vapor lock in a Model A with my own eyes. I watched, repeatedly, as clear plastic inline filter filled up with vapor and stalled the motor. I've posted photos (seen in a link provided earlier) of vaporization occuring in the sediment bowl--amazingly, large bubbles of vapor could be seen to pass through the system with barely a hiccup. So, there is absolutely no doubt (in my mind) that fuel vaporization can occur in the A fuel path, and that it may or may not kill the motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Why did the vapor stop at the filter? Why didn't the vapor pass through the fuel line and vent through the gas tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
The pressure of the column of gas above the filter had it blocked, like you can't burp while rapidly chugging water!
I would like more explanation along these lines above.

I have the same confusion... Since fuel is heavier than vapor, it should flow downward while vapor bubbles upward. The vapor should eventually make it's way back to the gas tank. The "pressure" explanation above doesn't seem likely. Why wouldn't the fuel continue to flow down past the vapor? Gravity is the only factor at play here, right?