Thread: Vapor lock!
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #43
James Rogers

Default Re: Vapor lock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
You know, it should make 'one ponder just why this topic of "vapor lock" is so controvercial. If you think about it, even float-a-motor mount or motor oil discussions here do not create the stir like this topic does. It is almost like folks want to fight about it to prove it can, -or cannot happen to them!! I find it even more ironic that apparently if someone raises the octane level of the fuel in the tank, the issue seemingly goes away?

The other thought I ponder is folks are basing this issue now on the ethenol laced fuels. Back a few decades ago when vapor lock was an issue, what was the blame then? Ethenol fuel??
Hardly could be fuel than because in the 60's when I started driving and working on motors, fuel at the pump had a nominal octane rating of 100/101 for regular and was leaded with no alcohol added. I don't believe ethenol has anything to do with it. I remember hearing my grandfather talk about vapor lock and it made him angry. I believe the reason for the anger was, the car right next to him DIDN'T have it and he didn't know how to prevent it, embarrassment. I guess this is like the exploding fan, it can't happen, till it happens to you.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote