View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Model B '34 Motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of elmirage View Post
So then what is the model "C" then? Because I have heard people(probably just know it all's) refer to it here and there.
Ghost,

My guess is that the reference to the engine as a Model C comes from the fact that Ford numbered his vehicles alphabetically starting with A in his early production. When he got to T it was really a hit and he kept that model designation for years. When the introduced the Model A in 1928 (late '27) he probably started over to show it was an all-new beginning. He followed with the Model B in 1932. It would have been logical for Ford to follow with a Model C in 1933 but Ford chose not to do that. I assume the people didn't pay attention to what Ford called them and just referred to them as Model C's. To add to the confusion the Model B in 1932 had a large C on the head (Ford had used the letter B on the high compression Model A head). The main place you hear the reference to Model C is the engines because most people thought that the 1933-34 engines with counterweighted crankshafts should be called Model C's (the change to the counterweighted crankshaft actually occurred in late '32).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote