View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #33
700rpm

Default Re: Antifreeze Leak Help!

Flipp, if I lived in SoCal, I'd drain out the antifreeze altogether. Then I'd back off the packing nut until I could see the condition of the packing, make a determination of condition, and grease as Purdy suggests, or add packing as necessary. Then I would snug up the packing nut, and put plain water back in the car. As someone noted, antifreeze is more likely to leak than water, and do you really need antifreeze in your area? Leakless water pumps are fine if you really need one, but original pumps can be maintained so they don't leak. Two of my cars have originals; one has a leakless. None of them leak. I think it is better to try to make what you have work than spend money unnecessarily. When you get to know more about your car you can make more informed decisions about whether to just start replacing parts, or repairing/restoring your original stuff.

Fred suggested cardboard on the inside to protect the radiator. Put a large piece on the outside too, to protect both the shell and the radiator, because when you pull the radiator forward, it is likely to hit the light bar and dent the shell; if you have license plate clamps on the bar, they can mess up the fins. Loosen them and rotate them up so the bolt ends don't hit the radiator when it's pulled forward. Be careful too about your hood if you pull the radiator forward. Go slowly for a more harmonious outcome.

Welcome, and good luck.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote