View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Hardtail75

Default Re: Seeking advice for my 1928 Sport Coupe Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Howdy Jon,

Your car is a '28 or '29 Sport Coupe. A Cabriolet is a convertible with roll down windows. A Sport Coupe's top does not go down.

Does 'located out of Canada' mean that you do live in Canada?

Personally I like Bratton's for some small parts. I like Bert's in Denver (www.modelastore.com) for everything else.

Dean
Dean, thank you. I did not know the difference! Yes that was a typo on my part I am from Canada. Thanks for the link I will check that out right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters;
Jon: In addition to what Dean wrote, This would be a good car to learn to do body work on. Reproduction sheet metal, especially front fenders does not fit well and needs to be reworked anyway. After you pull the body off the frame, cut the rotted areas off those front quarter panels back to good metal and make patches to weld in. Very time consuming, but rewarding. Gas or wire feed weld. you choose. One piece you may be missing is the belt rail that goes from the door latches around the back of the top. No one makes repros of those that I know of. Hydum welt can be used in a pinch. What you have is very restoreable, and will give you many hours of fulfilling work.
Have fun
mike
Mike, the metal fabrication is what I wanted to do from the start but was advised to order the reproduction sheet metal. I really do enjoy fabrication from working on my other car and motorcycle. This is good to know so I do not go and spend money on a whole lot of reproduction metals. I have a new Miller welder to pick up tomorrow.

I will get more detailed photos as soon as I can start working on it. The frame rails I think are possible to rebuild but was again told to purchase new ones.

I have a new paint stripper arriving this week. Can't wait to strip this car. I'm hoping to have it all stripped and primed by the weekend, then I can start the metal work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN
But the body should be mounted on the frame and doors etc lined up before any panels, sub rails etc are welded in.
Oh really? It is not best practice to do the panel work with the body off the frame? I'm guessing the metal will not line up correctly if I do it like that?

So I should strip the rust, dismantle, prime, assemble, and then fabricate?

Thanks guys!
Hardtail75 is offline   Reply With Quote