View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Dave in MN

Default Re: Centrifugal Advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growley bear View Post
I am having second thoughts about this centrifugal advance unit. After checking the advance with a timing light, I observed that I get no more than 15 degrees of advance. Supposed to get 30 degrees. The shaft mechanism operates freely and I can move the distributor approx 35 degrees and the rotor falls very easily unassisted back to its original position.
I have contacted Nu-Rex to find out what their take is on this. I had High Hopes at first. The model A does ok around town but will not attain a speed of over fourty MPH highway speeds without advancing the column lever to compensate.
So far the expense and labor (my labor) do not balance out.
The old solid shaft driver operated advance operated much better in my opinion. I have very easily attained speeds of over 60 MPH in short bursts with the old manual advance mechanism.
I guess I need to factor in entertainment though.
Chet
The setting instructions are a bit confusing so read and re-read. I had the same issue and discovered my error when I hooked up a timing light. If you can...use one for the final setting to verify you do not exceed 28 degrees of advance. They work great when they are set correctly.
Look at post #7 by Donh: He is correct...when installing a new head gasket use a drift punch to enlarge the opening in the gasket the lower shaft passes through after installing and torquing the head. If you do not, it will rub on the shaft and limit the advance.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote