View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 09:55 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Default Re: 276 stroker from 35 years of parts

'Repair Manual'
'Ford and Mercury V8 Engines 78-81A-59A series
1937 to 1948 Pass. Cars
1937 to 1947 Trucks' 3666-48D

Printed June 18. 1948 by Ford Motor Company, lists the fits and tolerances, along with their recomended wear limits when repairing their V8 using various combinations of used parts in conjunction with new parts. This book was intended for use by Ford service mechanics in their facility. I plan to use this book as my reference, as I have many times in the past when dealing with using new parts alongside old parts. I will venture that many engines today are built with brand new shiney parts from the the major supply houses that might very well have come in from all over the globe. There is always the chance that the materials and workmanship might not be as good as what Henry specified, so for me, I prefer a measured and inspected used Ford part.(not to mention I have buckets of them). When asked about valves, Les told me the Ford valves are excellent and what to look for when I dump out my 2 coffee cans full.
I still have a lot of questions about oil pumps, truck oil pans, truck water pumps, tin foil balls, original Ford lifters and grinding stems, cleaning out the crank oil passages, cam gears (I have seven), crank gears, baffles, etc. I'm quite set on a stock merc or 8ba cam, though many have tried to sway me into being a 'hot rodder', I happily remain a 'brown shoed square'. Your's truly, GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote