View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #34
Old Henry

Default Re: Not so Super Bright LEDS

I'm certainly not trying to talk anybody into blue dot lenses. They are the only non-authentic thing on my '47. But, as far as visibility, we have all seen cops go from the old red-only overheads to blue. Why? Because the blue stands out among so many red lights on the road. Blue-dot lenses actually work the same. They are a contrast to all of the red tail lights seen on the road and draw sharp attention to them which is particularly important because the size of the old stock fixtures are so small compared to modern tail lights. That isn't the main reason I run them though. It's mostly because I remember as a kid seeing them on old cars and thinking they looked so cool - like neon - that I dreamed of having them some day and now I do. Yes, they are illegal in my state (that's why I use a pseudonym) but no cops have bothered me about them since I got the bright bulbs in them. Probably because they love the looks of them as much as I do.