View Single Post
Old 04-01-2021, 07:03 AM   #11
19ED30

Default Re: 4-7 psi cap for Griffin radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fordguy View Post
You are missing the problem with Griffen radiators. The radiator itself requires about 11 lbs pressure (dynamic ) to fforce the water thru the radiator. A external cat (top of radiator) has to be more than this or you will pump water out the over flow. If you less than this on the top cap you water pumps suck on the bottom of the radiator reducing the pressure (dynamic) on the water going into your pumps aloowint the water boil (vaporize) - So the whole system has to be closed loop at about 15 lbs to work correctly like modern cars and radiator system chang the top cap is not the thing to do. Old rad's thhe water flowed thru the rad by gravity. The pumps only got the water to the top of the radiator.I changed to a brassworks rad. that requires less dynamic pressure to the water flow thru the radiator. The you can reduce the top external pressure of the cap. 36fordguy
I am not a engineer, I have used aluminum radiators in a race vehicle only because of weight .open & pressurized (cap) I prefer brass & copper in any year vehicle. Is the Griffin Radiator A poor design ( I know a name brand) small tubs rows , so it needs presser to force flow of coolant ? Is that particular design possibly for high RPMs for long duration of time ? Higher cap pressure raise the Boiling point ? ( there's another name/ action that happens I cannot think of it right now) over the years if I was using mismatch components, I have experiment with different pulley sizes, fans & so on. I was able to come up with a combo that would do what I feel I needed.
Older cars Most of us would get nervous if temps would get over 190 stop & go .
But certain combos make the most power out put from 235-270 degrees.
It all so a factor & depends where you take temp from , and how cooling hoses are Plumed .
Hear on the Barn , I would think its more Original and Purist and maybe slightly modified, ( be forWWII or 1950) But Not a aluminum Radiator ( things of that Nature)
That look like maybe a HAMB question.I float back & forth , I have original slightly modified & I have a HAMB vehicle also .
19ED30 is offline   Reply With Quote