View Single Post
Old 12-28-2023, 12:48 AM   #128
Old Henry

Default Re: 47 V8 ignition mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47topless View Post
In my '47, I was having trouble making a good connection of the rotor to the cap. The gasket you are referring to, between the cap and distributor body, was in bad shape. It caused the cap to sit ever so slightly off on the body. I ordered a new one but, while I waited for it to arrive, I just removed the old gasket, reinstalled the cap and it solved the problem. I understand that the gasket is only there to keep water from getting in the distributor. I believe that now.
Phil
Before I installed the new gasket I did the same thing - took the old one out and installed the cap without a gasket. Worked great. So, I put the new gasket in and worked better than it has for over two months . . . but only for 17 miles.

I'm afraid to run without the gasket for two reasons: 1) I'm afraid the rotor end will be too high and hit the cap terminals. 2) I go through some pretty wet storms on my road trips and would hate to get any water in the cap.