View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
VeryTangled

Default Re: Back from hiatus, looking for input, again

Hi again FamilyFord, why convert to juice brakes? The mechanical ones can be made to work. I found refurbishing the cross shaft, straightening the rods, and arcing the shoes to fit the drums, then correctly adjusting, yielded excellent results.

Your posts frequently mention getting something to fit. It seems to me you have the stuff already to preserve your family heirloom as a safe and reliable running and driving car.

As for setting the 'original' engine aside, as a future project... There's no shortage of stories about those projects sitting.

Sorry if I seem like a jerk, and feel free to ignore my posts. But this past summer I traveled by air to Tahoe from the DC area, when I got there I hooked up with a crowd that had just driven from the east coast, over 3000 miles. The cars all made it there and back, several with mechanical brakes, none with any issue that couldn't be handled with some evening repairs. I come at it from that perspective. The old cars can be made to work. That being said, it's your car and you absolutely should do what you like. I'll be happy to follow and learn from your contributions.

-VT/JeffH

EDIT: 40cpe said it very well in post #2:
"You are going to get lots of opinions based on personal bias here.

Put me in the camp of a later flathead to get the additional power and insert main bearings. Hydraulic brakes would be on my list, too."

Last edited by VeryTangled; 11-03-2013 at 04:52 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote