View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
Chris Haynes

Default Re: Distributor not turning when cranking engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Need to change the cam gear ? OK. First thing to do if you have never done anything like this before is to get a repair manual such as the one written by Les Andrews. These or others are available at any of the vendors such as Bratton's, Snyder's, Mac's ,etc.
The front cover needs to come off which will probably require removing the hood, radiator if you have a one piece front pulley. A special socket should be used to remove the cam nut. The crankshaft gear needs to be inspected for condition. The marks on the gears need to be properly aligned when installed. All is well explained in the repair books.
Remove the hood, radiator, and pull the pulley? Why?
Although I didn't have the correct socket handy I replaced the timing gear on my '31 Sport Coupe with just the few tools i had in my car when it broke down miles from home. Fortunately a Ford Obsolete store was nearby so I walked to it and I bought a new gear. A box wrench removed the timing cover bolts. A hammer and chisel loosened the nut holding the timing gear to the cam. The hammer and chisel replaced the nut. The box wrench re-tightened the bolts on the timing gear cover. The hood and pulley stayed in place.
If I was doing it at home I would definitely use the socket for the timing gear nut as the hammer and chisel is Neanderthal way of doing it, but I had to do what i had to do to get home.
Removing the hood, radiator, and pulley is unnecessary.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote