View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
Joe K

Default Re: Distributor not turning when cranking engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I tried to turn the shaft in the engine and it WILL NOT turn by hand. Its almost like its stuck. How do I replace the fiber gear?
Um. Not really understand.

If you tried to crank the engine over with the hand crank or starter and it didn't move - then maybe a piece of the timing gear has become wedged between the timing gear hub and the crankshaft gear.

If you tried to turn the distributor shaft by reaching down inside the head with a large screwdriver - this I can see. There is a bevel type gear that will drive the distributor shaft easily from the engine side, but you'll have difficulty to turn it "backwards." Plus you have to overcome at least two valves that want to change positions: the camshaft has the "lobes" that make it difficult to turn past the "hills" of the lobes.

Replacing the fiber gear is not that hard. Mr. Chauvin above has outlined the general steps to removal.

You will do best to remove the engine oil pan. Some view this as challenge by itself (those two or three bolts that are virtually inaccessible - plus those engine splash pans if you happen to still have yours.) And supporting the oil pump. You will want to do a full cleaning of your oil pan to remove any shards of gear material that may have migrated there.

You will have to remove the front and timing gear covers. Generator removal was mentioned since it hangs off the front cover. The "hidden bolt" was mentioned. Also putting a jack and gently lifting up the engine to allow removal of the front engine support. CAREFUL not to go too far and crack your flywheel housing - you might loosen the four rear support bolts that attach flywheel housing to support boxes to be sure.

You may do best to remove the hood, radiator shell, and radiator simply for access. There are (last count) about 6 bolts, two support rods, and two hose clamps to do this - and it will make your access SOO much easier. Be careful how you hold/fold that hood. You don't want to break the last (nearest the gas tank) tabs on that hood hinge.

And you will want the handi-dandi tool to match your timing gear fastener/nut. Vendors sell both an original nut style tool (which matches modern 1/2 or 3/8 drive socket wrenches) or a replacement nut and special tool which is similar but modern. Some here have opined that the new nut/tool is the way to go. But if you have the old style nut, you may do well (cheaper) to keep it traditional.

And you will need to pick out your new gear and nut - and determine if you need to replace the crankshaft gear (which requires a formal three jaw puller and removal of the front crankshaft pulley/ratchet nut.)

Were I to do any of this today I would simply buy the aluminum gear and a new matched crankshaft gear. Start fresh since it does involve a fair amount of your time and effort to make it happen.

H.L.'s other suggestions are apt. I've done this task once in the car like you have to do. H.L. sounds like he's done it several times.

Hope my quick review helps.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 06-02-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote