View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Removing a steering wheel - or not

The rear axle has the same threads as the steering shaft. You can use the rear hub remover called the knock off wheel puller. This inexpensive tool is listed on page 156 of the 2011 Brattons catalog. This tool can be screwed on to the steering shaft where the steering wheel nut goes. the tool will bottom on the steering shaft before it reaches the steering wheel. With the tool bottomed on the steering shaft you will need to pull firmly up on thr steering wheel while someone strikes the tool firmly with about a three pound drilling hammer. You might could sit in the drivers seat with your nees pressing up on the wheel while striking the tool with a hammer yourself. I have preformed this operation many times myself and it works very good. With the tool bottomed on the shaft there is no danger of harming the threads if you strike the tool squarly. this is much safer than striking the steering wheel nut. I also have the steering wheel puller and both tools require striking with a hammer, maybe this is why it hasn't worked for you. Good luck, it should be fairly simple
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote