View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #45
37 Coupe

Default Re: Flathead ignition Poll

My setup is a little different from most posted so I will try to describe it. I have a 59AB in my 37 coupe with a 4 inch crank and a NOS Mercury camshaft with front snout machined for early distributor,Red of Red's header come up with the cam few years back. Distributor is 37-41 style but uses the 11A shaft,cam and weights as 41 Ford would have for more advance which is needed for engine I have . The distributor was built and setup by a guy in Virginia named John Shelor,never see his name on this forum or V8 Club's but he has written several articles in V8 Times about distributors and coil moisture,probably has been over shadowed by Haney coil rebuilds, I think he is a retired electrical engineer,mayby in his eighties. He makes a special point plate and uses a 57 Ford point and a 74 Pinto point in his early Ford distributors,whether it is the availability or he considers them stronger and more dependable I do not know but man it sure runs good, big difference from the stock 68 distributor I first ran. Surprised John's name is never kicked around on forums,he is always busy,too busy to be blowing his own horn on internet I guess. Think he has done a few Great Race setups.