View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 01:14 AM   #15
petehoovie

Default Re: How important is the oil pan baffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3W Hank View Post
I has the 59BA block and a 21 stud pan, those pan clear better for a std 32 wishbone ( at the starter area ) and that pan had the baffle removed.
I thought since someone fixed it after damage, it was removed.
Then I came over a pick-up and seller said it was many versions but showed a new NOS that had a plate over the lower cup. Both was that style. I dont know what year the pick up was.
Its maybe a 8AB, but I bought it.
Then I order a Melling pump ( no HV ) but at that time I had no idea of that pumps pressuare. Only thing I read no HV is needed so Melling sell 2 pumps, one no HV the other HV but they is not tell on pressuare.
Maybe some new ?
But I found a new NOS pump and realise the partnumer told it was a 80 pound 8AB pump.
I asked around it and did I need a NOS, no but I like the old stuff ( if possible )
Did I need 80 pound or the helical gears, no.
I read here at the Barn the 59BA block had relif spring at 50 pounds.
I has spring/ball from a late 30’s block ( the ones with thin sleeves )
So I guess with that spring a 80 pound pump will not give 80 pound in the 59BA block.
Plus hot straight 30 WT LE oil will get pressuare decent or never over 60 depending on spring set up.
Is this correct analyse so far ?
-My idea has been to make baffles that fit for that pick-up but I might not need that after read this thread, but instead I has a question.
In this engines was it made a windage tray/screen ?
( I’m mean for custom/racing aplication )

( My pick-up look at the shorter ones on this picture I found )

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote