View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
ken-r-mer

Default Re: 1951 merc 3-speed overdrive wear

Based on the Van Pelt diagrams, and review of the trans, its a late '51 -'53 (Van Pelt says '54) Mercury trans. It has the small 4 bolt pattern at the bell housing.

The reason I selected this trans is it has the near identical clutch linkage setup as my '52 F-1. After looking and doing multiple measurements, its a matter of a new trans mount further back, drive shaft shortening, as well as removing the right half of the existing trans mount to clear the overdrive solenoid, and diagonal bracing the remaining portion of the existing support with the existing clutch linkage assembly.

The trans came with the cast iron bellhousing with the rotating shaft clutch linkage setup, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, and all of the overdrive electrical items, The gear clusters were like new with no visible wear...except this low/reverse fork. The other fork has minimal wear.

Maybe the the logical choice is to find a good welder that could add the necessary metal to the cast iron and with some finish grinding, I'dbe in good shape to button up the trans.

Last edited by ken-r-mer; 04-14-2012 at 08:46 AM.
ken-r-mer is offline   Reply With Quote