View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: front brake issues

Just because the shoes match the arc of the drums doesn't mean that the brakes will be centered when the shoes are installed. I'm thinking its an issue with the tracks. This is where a centering tool comes in handy. The centering tool only shows where you are at and which way that the shoes will need to move so that they will actually center the drums as mounted. Usually the shoes will be low and the tracks will either need to be bent or built up with weld. Many times the heads of the roller pins will be just sliding over the tracks instead of riding on top of the tracks as they should. This is often hard to detect but will let the shoes drop too low for the drums to pass over the shoes.

I have used the lining from Snyders but installed it myself. I don't know if Snyders sends the shoes out to be relined with different thicker lining but that could be the problem. The lined shoe that I pictured has new never used lining. Maybe the picture will give some ides of what the thickness of the lining should be, It is certainly more than .020
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote