View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Richard (EV8G)

Default Re: tie rod hitting the front radius rods

My 2-cents: The spindles are probably aftermarket 37-41's OR original 37-41's that have had the original arms chopped off. You have "one size fits all" aftermarket bolt-on arms that are more suitable for 35-48's where the tie rod MUST go below the radius rods because the engine in those years is further forward in the chassis. These arms are the root of your problem, but not all of it... They are what they are and cannot be modified for more clearance with the radius rods. At least not SAFELY in my opinion...

You also have the old stand by "hairpin" add-on arm for the draglink. They are
made incorrectly, as they are directly above the axle center, when the original 32-34's were 3/4" FORWARD of the axle center with the front wheels pointed straight-ahead. The originals were made that way so as to form a 90-degree angle with the draglink. It appears that you are using the original draglink, but cannot tell if it has been shortened to compensate, but most likely not? If so,
when the steering gear is on center, the car will be making a LH turn, and when the car is going straight, the steering will NOT be on center, so there WILL be alot of play in the steering when driving straight-ahead. This has nothing to do with your clearance problem BUT will cause unequal turning radius ability from one side to the other...

To fix your problem CORRECTLY will require some major changes... but could be done as per my first post... Good Luck!