View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Mallory tech answer to coil/ballast ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich/Alabama View Post
Bubbas,
Just for the record: I am running the entire Mallory system on my car; unilite distributor, 29216 coil, Mallory ballast resistor, and power cell (surge protector) as I said in the last post. Not having any problems, just was wondering if there were any pitfalls in changing over from the present system to the Mallory 29219 coil that doesn't require the ballast resistor, all the other stuff would stay the same. The other part of the question is; what is the significance of the difference in coil output voltage? The 29216 is 51K and the 29219 is 58K. To an ignition novice it appears there might be a performance gain there but your charts imply there may not be any advantage. This discussion is good stuff, I really like to get into the details before spending money after wasting hundreds in the past just trying different stuff that didn't always work. Thanks.
I agree with George on leaving it the way it was and has been for years.
The gain in coil output would never be needed on a flathead or any other properly tuned up engine for that matter. Marketing at its best......
High current levels = high heat and high heat damages parts.
Q=Ever wonder why Nascar allows two ignition systems per car? A=They have trouble getting one to run 500 miles at high current levels....

There is three types of voltage in any ignition system.

1=Voltage required. This is what the engine needs to ignitite the air fuel mixture . Rich air fuel takes less and lean air fuel takes more . Higher compression takes more amd less compression takes less.
Typical engine needs 5-8,000 volts under normal loaded conditions and snap throttle may need 10-12,000 etc....
Plug will always only take what is needed (minimum).

2=Voltage Available= This is what the ignition coil could do if demanded ( such as a open wire etc) Maximam output of the coils windings and turns ratio-- Could be anywhere from 20,000 to 60,000 (high energy)

3=Voltage reserve= This is whats left over by subtracting required from available. Using 5,000 and have a 60,000 volt coil this reserve would be 55,000 volts.
I call this the public number on late models. The public can drive their car forever without doing anything to it as far as service , by the time we need 60,000 plus voltage the entire ignition is burned up, melted and destroyed !!!!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote