View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #1665
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Sidevalve8ba, I'm using an Airtex 12 volt, low pressure, 2 - 4 Lbs. electric fuel pump (sorry, I don't have the part # handy) on the Zephyr with a Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator #9710, (set at 2.5 Lbs.) I also install an additional fuel filter between the gas tank and the electric pump, I'm using a Mr. Gasket filter #9746. I have this same set up on our '51 F-1 & '47 Convertible. The '39 CS is still 6 volt positive ground so I use the same pump in a 6 volt version. When using the 6 volt pump you need to reverse the wires, making the pump ground wire the "hot" wire for a positive ground system. Additionally, I install a "kill switch" for the pump under the dash or in another convenient, easy to reach place.

Tom, I seldom had Vapor Lock issues when I lived up North however that was also before that started contaminating gas with "corn"! Here in Florida, as you know, the warm temps combined with the "Corn" gas, make a perfect scenario for the introduction of Vapor Lock... Apparently, I have successfully vanquished Vapor Lock with the aforementioned modifications.
As added insurance, I also carry an OEM style fuel pump in each of the vehicles I've converted. Yes, I leave the push rod in each, just incase...