View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #33
Chris H

Default Re: Removing rear brake drum

I just went thru this over the last week. I tried most of the previously mentioned methods. After removing the axle nuts, washers, and fiber gaskets, I began applying Kroil to the axle. I laid one 3# hammer on one side of the hub and smacking the hub on the other side with another 3# hammer. After a few hits the driver side came off. The passenger side was more stubborn. I reapplied Kroil over several days and repeated the 2 hammer method, while waiting on my puller order from Vintage Precision. The puller arrived and was immediately used. It removed the stubborn hub with just a moderate amount of force, with a mild pop.
The Vintage Precision puller is an "improved" version of the KR puller. Just what this "improvement" might be, I do not know, having never seen a KR. I can say that it is well built and machined, and made in the USA. I did not mind spending the money on the tool, as I am sure that it will be used again.
I might add that the VP puller does come with the thread protection nut, which I did use. There was no damage to the axle thread. I did not use any hammer on the axle thread or to the puller. I was reluctant to use any heat on any of the brake or axle components.

Last edited by Chris H; 07-06-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Additional information only.
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote