View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
V12Bill

Default Re: chrome plating question

I have done four Lincoln restorations and as a blind man can see there is a lot of chrome on a Lincoln. I have had chrome done by the above listed shops and was not happy with either. Paul plated two trunk hinges without removing and replacing the hinge pins which he stated he "always" did. Frankford Plating increased their estimated price of $1100 to $1300 because the pieces "needed" work. If they were broken I could see a price for repair, but they only needed chrome! Librandti in Harrisburg, PA charged me twice to gold plate a piece that he mistakenly chrome plated. Recently NEL in Philadelphia ruined a hood ornament and there was no compensation.

You didn't like Nu-Chrome, and yet they were one of the few places that did a respectable job at a reasonable price for me. I guess it is all in the luck of the draw and whether or not the plater is having a bad day when your work is being done. It seems that the only quick places are on the reality TV shows where tons of chrome are returned perfect in a weeks time. In the real world, 2 months to 6 months seems to be the norm.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote