Thread: 1946 Ford Rims
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
blucar

Default Re: 1946 Ford Rims

The 15" 5 on 5.5 wheels with inside hubcap knobs came on the '48 Merc's, this type of wheel was also used on the Ford F-100 pk ups through 1966.

The Merc wheels will generally be 5" wide where-as the pickup wheels can be up to 6" wide. The back-set on all of these wheels will be just right for use on early V8's.

The '49-50 Merc's have the same 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern as do Ford pickups from 1967-80+, the difference being that the hub caps lugs are on the outside of hub.

The 5 on 5.5" '57-66 Ford pickup wheels are very desirable for use on the early Ford V8's because they are heavy duty wheels and are made for tubeless tires. The Ford wheels will generally be stamped with the Ford Oval and/or KH.

If the lug holes in your wheels are overly worn out from years of improper use, I would discard them in favor of newer wheels that are not worn out. The '57-66 Ford pickup wheels are very easy to come by for about $25. or less each. To my way of thinking.. washers under the lug nuts is a failure waiting to happen..

The Ford pickup wheels wheels have the same bolt pattern as some Mopars and vise-versa, however, I would not suggest using the Mopar wheels on an early Ford V8.

Last edited by blucar; 10-20-2010 at 10:57 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote