View Single Post
Old 02-20-2024, 04:41 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Find out more about my '37 fordor

The fact that the VIN is visible through the windshield on modern cars says there is probably no need to hide it. If you are concerned used "XX" for the last numbers. The VIN will give you some information. Was it the first car made, the last car, was it made about at a design change? Was it an export model? Did it have the big V8 or the small one. To find out where it fit in production see:http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm . The VIN on the paperwork should match the number and can be found on the frame near the steering. If it doesn't match the sooner you get it resolved the better (this should be your top priority). The "font" of the stamping should match the font shown on the site I referenced. There are also other locations shown on the site I referenced earlier. The number stamped into the transmission case is generally not used since transmissions were frequently changed.

Another thing about the VIN. It is the serial number of the engine and there is a time before the car was assembled depend on how far the assembly plant from the Rouge plant where all the engines were made.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote